Thursday 20 March 2014

L. Cornelissen & Son. One of my favourite art shops.

If you do manage to make it to The British Museum do a slight detour the opposite way (5 min walk) on Great Russell Street and you will find a little piece of artists heaven. I have wanted to visit this shop for ages. It has been trading since 1855 and still retains that feeling of going back in time even though it has the full range of modern artist materials. It is crammed from floor to ceiling with every imaginable colour in every type of paint and pencils. On some shelves there are glass bottles of coloured pigments with unimaginable names just crying out be used. Names of paints I have never heard of or imagined wink at you like magicians potions. I was looking for Unison Colour pastels and it was  a joy for me to open old wood drawers to reveal rows and rows of delicious rainbow colours. I could have spent hours in there! The staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable, especially when I was inquiring about materials I was not familiar with. It was a enchanting experience and I will be back.

Link
www.cornelissen.com




No comments:

Post a Comment