Monday 21 October 2013

Drawing At the Welsh National Opera in Swansea Grand Theatre

One of my favourite times of the year in the theatre is when Welsh National Opera visits. It is a world class company, extraordinary gifted singers and amazing costumes and sets. First on Friday I took my sketch pad etc and drew my way through Tosca. Such dramatic sets and visuals, a real pleasure. I had tingles. The opera stars Claudio Otelli and Mary Elizabeth Williams were also very generous with their time for me as always. I can't wait to work on the drawings I have done from the production.

Next was Roberto Devereux, one of their Tudor opera's. I saw the trailer and the 2 leading ladies and thought I MUST have those to paint!! First in blue shot taffeta was Leah Marian Jones playing the Duchess of Nottingham. Very striking. Then I got to meet French CAnadian soprano Alexandra Deshorties in a swathe of red silk, black high leather boots, and a beautiful metal glove. An artists dream. I would have loved to have spent more time with both but there was something about them having to get on stage to sing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment